Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thoughts before liftoff on my research paper

Well, I'm sitting down to begin the research paper due next week and want to jot down a few thoughts before I begin laying out my research paper outline.

I finished reading Inuit in Cyberspace a second time this past week with a more critical eye than the first time. When I first read the book, I tried viewing it strictly as a reader interested in the subject matter. I was only concerned with subject matter that the author, Neil Blair Christensen, researched and reported. The second time I read through the text, I tried to be aware of the methodologies and ethniographic techniques the researcher employed to conuct his research. I just want to note that even the second read-through was kept pretty light though; I didn't take any notes or highlight anything that may be important when writing my report. I felt that that may slow me down and may cloud my vision when trying to observe any points that may be noteworthy. Instead, I plan to read through the text a third time with a much more critical intent. Having read the ethnography twice already, I have a general idea of what I am looking for and when. It is now simply a matter of documenting the exact examples that may illustrate the points I will be making in my final paper.

What I'm thinking of doing, and this may work itself out in the next day or two, is recapping the ethnography, Inuit in Cyberspace, in a chapter by chapter basis and summing up my observations or critiques in ethnographic terms. In other words, I may explain the observations and insights Christensen presents in the chapter and then go ahead and look at how his reseach was conducted and these conclusions were drawn.

Well, like I said I'm going to take the next day or two to analytically go through the text and collect examples and instances where the ethnographic process is particularly evident, highlighted, or flawed. I'll let you know how it goes...

PS: I just wanted to thank you all for those great oral presentations in class. Your research, observations, and presentations are particularly important to helping me write my research paper because they allow me to draw on a larger pool of real-world research examples when comparing Inuit in cyberspace to other ethnographies. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment