Saturday, April 18, 2009

Cyberspace as non-space

As I sit here writing the term paper, I've realized how important it is to focus on the environment of cyberspace as a location for fieldwork. I know that sounds obvious as this entire semester has been about doing that, but in the case of my research I think that there is a great deal to learn by critically looking at the considerations of Christensen as he writes the ethnography. He spends a bit of time early on talking about how early cyberspace researchers saw  the environment as a non-space without boundaries yet his research led him to believe that, for Inuit users, it is regarded as another place to be 'who they are' just like any other environment they may frequent offline... I'm actually looking for literature that may back up or enforce this point of view...

I'll let you know how she goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment