Monday, April 20, 2009

Hmmm, meaning of culture raises some questions...

Well I'm now in the stretch run of running my paper... As I cover the outline I laid out with information from class discussions applied to Christensen's work, a pretty big issue has come up for me which I never really put much stock in and just might be worth mentioning as I critique the ethnography. I wish Christensen had spent a little more time on defining his critirea for online information being culture capital. He speaks about culture online, but may have been well-served to actually consider the depth of cultural flags not just the scope. I can't help but thinking more time should of been spent seperating the cultural markers he speaks about into categories of impct. Having not done that, a simple gif image of a pair of seal skin gloves can be considers as culturally significant in asserting Inuit culture as anything else considered...

Also raises questions of authenticity as to what is real Inuit culture online and what is just displayed to identify themselves by presenting symbols that foreigners stereotype to those communities...

No comments:

Post a Comment